State of Minnesota
More about
Attorney General
Lori Swanson

Minnesota Attorney General's Office

1400 Bremer Tower
445 Minnesota Street
St. Paul, MN 55101

(651) 296-3353
(800) 657-3787

M - F 8 am - 5 pm

TTY:(651) 297-7206
TTY:(800) 366-4812

Duties of the Park Owner and Manager

Park owners and their designated managers must perform specific duties required by state law. (30) Duties include being licensed, complying with state law and local ordinances, and properly maintaining the park (31)


A manufactured home park owner must have a license from the Minnesota Department of Health or the local County Health Department. (32) This license must be conspicuously displayed in the office of the manufactured home park. (33)

A park owner or manager must apply for this license and the Department of Health must inspect the manufactured home park and grant a license if all Department of Health requirements are met. (34)

If the Commissioner of the state Department of Health denies a license application, the park owner or manager may appeal the decision. The person who is appealing the decision must request a hearing by notifying the Commissioner within 20 days after the license is denied. (35)

Compliance with Health Regulations

If a person is injured, or threatened with injury because a health or safety rule is violated, the person may contact the Department of Health to file a complaint. The Department of Health can require the park to comply, or assist the park in correcting the violation. An injured person may also file a private lawsuit. (36)


An owner or attendant must maintain the park, facilities and equipment. If the park contains more than 50 lots, the park owner or the attendant must be available at all times in case of emergency. (37)

Storm Shelters and Evacuation

Storm shelters or evacuation plans provide residents with access to safe shelter in cases of bad weather. (38) Storm shelter plans vary depending on the size of a park and when the park was originally licensed. (39)

Parks with fewer than ten homes must provide either a shelter on the premises or a plan for evacuation to a nearby shelter. (40) The plan or shelter should be developed with the assistance and approval of the park's local municipality.

Parks with ten or more homes, licensed prior to March 1, 1988, must provide either a shelter on the premises, or evacuation plans to a storm shelter close to the park. (41) The shelter or evacuation plan must have been approved by the park's local municipality by March 1, 1989, and a copy submitted to the state Department of Health. The park owner must give all residents a copy of the evacuation or shelter plan. (42)

Parks with ten or more homes, licensed after March 1, 1988, must provide a storm shelter within the park. (43)

Shelters constructed after March 1, 1988, must comply with the state building code. (44) The state Department of Administration enforces the state's building code and has jurisdiction over the proper construction of storm shelters. The state Department of Health has jurisdiction over whether the shelter or shelter plan is adequate to meet the needs of park residents.

Drains, Water Supply and Lots

Manufactured home parks must be well drained and have an adequate supply of safe water. (45) The park must make sure homes are properly placed within the park, and the lots are divided correctly. (46)

Tenant's Remedies Act

The Tenant's Remedies Act allows a resident or a non-profit neighborhood organization to jointly sue a park landlord or park owner for repairs or lack of services. (47) The most common neighborhood organization formed by manufactured home park residents is a "Resident Association." Resident Associations are formed to resolve matters related to living conditions in the park. (48)

A Resident Association can demand to have an inspection done by local authorities to determine if health or housing regulations or the state building code are being violated. The inspector will inform the Resident Association, in writing, of any code violations. (49) The inspector will determine how much time the park will be allowed to correct the violations. (50) If the violations are not corrected, the owner must be given 14 days' notice before the Resident Association can take action. (51) Once proper notice has been given, an action may be brought in district court, in the county where the manufactured park is located, for existing violations. (52)

If the violation is a case of emergency (i.e., loss of running water, hot water, heat, electricity, sanitary facilities or other essential services) then a resident or Resident Association can file an emergency relief proceeding. (53) The resident or Resident Association must make reasonable efforts to notify the owner of the emergency relief proceeding at least 24 hours in advance.

Next: Rental Agreements