Skip to Main Content

Search for Charities

Most charities that solicit donations in Minnesota must register with the Attorney General’s Office. You may search here to see if a charity is registered.

Search by:

(An “EIN” is a charity’s Employer Identification Number. If an EIN is entered it will supersede all other search criteria.)


If You Don’t Find the Charity

Please note that not all charities must register with the Attorney General’s Office.  Some are exempt from registering.  Failing to register with the Attorney General’s Office can be a red flag, however, and you should be cautious in deciding whether to support an unregistered charity.  If you do not find the charity and are still considering donating, do your homework beforehand.  Tips on how to research a charity are provided below in the “How to Learn More About a Charity” section.

If You Find the Charity

If you find the charity you are looking for, then it is currently registered with the Attorney General’s Office. Registered charities file reports every year that contain information about their operations, fundraising, and finances. These annual reports are public documents, and available from the Attorney General’s Office upon request. Be aware, however, that just because a charity is registered does not necessarily mean it is worthy of your generosity. Before contributing to any charity, donors should know enough to assure themselves that the charity will use their donation to fulfill its charitable mission. See the next section on “How to Learn More About a Charity” for more information.

How to Learn More About a Charity

Doing research about a charity before you donate is vital, particularly to ensure that most of your donation is being used to fulfill the charity’s mission. There are a number of ways you can learn more about a charity and what percentage of your donation goes toward its charitable purpose. You should visit the Office’s “Charities Information for the Public” webpage which provides information about how to research charities. You may also call the Attorney General’s Office at (651) 757-1496 or (800) 657-3787. The Attorney General’s Office can answer your basic questions about a charity, send you a copy of a charity’s annual report, and provide other tips on charitable giving.

How Donors Can Help

Donors play an important role in helping ensure that charities in Minnesota operate with integrity and fulfill their charitable mission. If you believe that a charity is soliciting funds in Minnesota without being properly registered with the Attorney General’s Office, or is engaged in other questionable activities, please report it to our Office by calling (651) 757-1496 or (800) 657-3787, or by submitting a Nonprofit/Charities Report form to:

Office of Minnesota Attorney General Lori Swanson
445 Minnesota Street, Suite 1400
St. Paul, MN 55101