Debt Collection

If you are being pursued by debt collectors, knowing your rights can be helpful. The federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCP) and state laws govern the practices of debt collection agencies. These laws set the rules for debt collectors and give consumers a number of protections. Under the FDCPA, for example, collection agencies may only call you between the hours of 8 a.m. and 9 p.m. The FDCPA also requires debt collection agencies to stop contacting you, if you ask them to do so in writing. Once you do that, the collection agency can only contact you to let you know it is ceasing its collection efforts, or that it is going to take some other action, such as suing you, to recover the debt. For more information about the FDCPA and its protections, visit the Debt Collection FAQ external link icon webpage from the FTC.

If you experience a problem with a debt collector, we want to hear from you. In addition, you should file a complaint with the following agencies:

Minnesota Department of Commerce

The Minnesota Department of Commerce (MNDOC) is the state agency that licenses debt collection agencies in Minnesota. The Commerce Department has the authority to suspend or cancel a debt collector’s license if it violates the law. You may file a complaint with the Commerce Department as follows:

Minnesota Department of Commerce
85 7th Place East, Suite 280
St. Paul, MN 55101
(651) 539-1500 (local)
(800) 657-3602 (Greater MN only) external link icon

The Federal Trade Commission

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has authority to enforce violations of the FDCPA. Accordingly, you also should report any problems you are having with a debt collector to the FTC as follows:

Federal Trade Commission
Consumer Response Center
600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20580
(877) 382-4357
TTY: (866) 653-4261 external link icon

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) is a federal agency with supervisory authority over many nonbank debt collectors. The CFPB has issued several sample lettersexternal link icon people may use when dealing with debt collection agencies. You may file a complaint with the CFPB as follows:

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
P.O. Box 4503
Iowa City, IA 52244
Toll-free: (855) 411-2372 link icon

Additional Resources

The Minnesota Attorney General’s Office offers the following materials, which are designed to provide information to Minnesota citizens about debt collection: