Advisory Task Force on Expanding the Economic Security of Women
“Affording your life is hard enough. It’s especially tough for women in an economy that’s stacked against them,” Attorney General Ellison said. “Women are still paid less than men for the same work, still pay more than men for similar goods and services, and still bear the burden of school and childcare far more than men. Among all women, inequalities for women of color are greatest. The COVID-19 pandemic has made those inequalities even worse.
“Women’s economic insecurity isn’t just an economic wrong — it’s a moral wrong that hurts all of us. But it doesn’t have to be that way. Minnesota has led the way on economic equality and opportunity before: with this task force, I want us to lead again,” Attorney General Ellison concluded.
Section I: Task Force Members
Task Force Co-Chairs
Co-Chairs Donna Cassutt and Erin Maye Quade
Core Task Force Members:
- Dr. Christina Ewig, Professor of Public Affairs and Equity Director at the Center on Women, Gender, and Public Policy, Humphrey School of Public Affairs, University of Minnesota
- Dr. Brittany Lewis, Senior Research Associate, Center for Urban and Regional Affairs (CURA)
- Batala McFarlane, Publisher, Insight News
- Lulete Mola, Vice President of Community Impact, Women's Foundation of Minnesota
- Kate Perushek, Assistant Commissioner for the Construction Codes and Licensing Division and Government Relations and Workforce Development Programs, Minnesota Department of Labor, and Industry
- Erin Maye Quade, Advocacy Director, Gender Justice
- Senator David Senjem (R) - Senate District 25
- Connie Smallman, co-founder, and co-chair, Operating Engineer Local 49 Women's Group
- Sayda Tarannum, co-founder of the NorthWest Islamic Community Center
- Alene Tchourumoff, Senior Vice President of Community Development and Engagement, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis
- Representative Samantha Vang (D), House District 40B
Ex Officio Members of the Task Force:
- Lieutenant Governor Peggy Flanagan
- Commissioner Rebecca Lucero
- Donna Cassutt, Chief of Staff, Minnesota Attorney General's Office
- Solicitor General Liz Kramer
- Melissa Raphan, Partner, Labor & Employment Group LLP
Section II: Meetings and Events
1. February 4, 2021 - 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.
2. March 1, 2021 - 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.
- Zoom Link
Meeting ID: 160 024 4574
3. April 12, 2021 - 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.
4. May 6, 2021 - 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.
5. June 14, 2021 - 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.
6. July 14, 2021 - 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.
Section III: Resources
- Womens' Economic Security Act
Carly Melin, Director of Government Affairs, Office of the Attorney General
- The Status of Women & Girls in Minnesota 2020
Christina Ewig, Professor of Public Affairs Director, Center on Women, Gender and Public Policy Humphrey School of Public Affairs
Task Force Materials
- By-Laws of Advisory Task Force on Expanding the Economic Security of Women
- Virtual Meeting Norms
- Zoom Best Practices
January 26, 2021
Attorney General Ellison selects advocates, researchers, legislators to serve on Women’s Economic Security Task Force
Names Lt. Gov. Flanagan and others as ad hoc members
November 19, 2020
Attorney General Ellison forms Task Force on Expanding Economic Security of Women
Solicits applications through Open Appointments process by early January
Section IV: Participate
Community input is an important part of this Task Force, we encourage members of the public interested in this work to sign up for updates and stay engaged with this work.
If you would like to participate, please email Sadaf Rahmani, at Sadaf.Rahmani@ag.state.mn.us