Skip to Main Content

Veterans & Service Members

Many state and federal laws affect veterans, service members, and their dependents. We have prepared a handbook that summarizes several of these laws and your rights as a veteran, service member or their dependent. To view this brochure, click here.

Service Member’s Relief

The Servicemember’s Civil Relief Act is a federal law that provides certain service men and women on active duty in the United States Armed Forces (and service members called to active State duty because of a federal emergency) various safeguards related to eviction from rental properties, interest rates paid on mortgages, credits cards, car loans and other debts, reinstatement of health insurance, and delay of civil court actions, among other things. More information regarding the Servicemember’s Civil Relief Act is available here.

Employment Rights

The Uniform Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (“USERRA”) is a federal law that establishes rights and responsibilities for uniformed service members and their employers. USERRA protects the job rights of people who leave positions to perform uniformed services. USERRA also affects employment, reemployment and retention in employment while employees serve in uniformed services. For more information on USERRA and Minnesota law on employment rights, click here. If you believe that your employer may be violating your rights under USERRA, you may file a complaint with the United States Department of Labor, Veterans’ Employment and Training Service Division, as follows:

United States Department of Labor
Veterans’ Employment and Training Service Division
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Veterans’ Employment and Training
200 Constitution Avenue Northwest, Room S-1325
Washington, DC 20210
(866) 487-2365 external link icon

Education Rights

Under state law, service members called to active duty may withdraw from post-secondary courses and receive a credit for certain tuition and fees paid. They may also receive a refund for certain amounts paid for room, board and fees attributable to the time in active military service. If a service member chooses to withdraw from a post-secondary school due to military status, he or she has the right to be readmitted and reenrolled as a student at the school without penalty or redetermination of admission eligibility within two years following their release from the State or military service, or completion of medical treatment, or sufficient recovery from the medical condition. Minnesota law provides for additional education benefits for veterans, service members and their dependents. More information on some of these benefits can be found here.

Contract Rights

Under state law, military personnel may cancel cell phone contracts without penalty when called to active duty. Service members may also cancel rental contracts, club contracts, service contracts and membership travel contracts without penalty and receive a full refund of any deposit if a deployment or change in duty prevents the service member from using the service or abiding by the terms of the contract.

If you have a question or experience a problem related to veteran’s benefits or any other consumer related issue, we want to hear from you. You may call us at (651) 296-3353 (Twin Cities Calling Area) or (800) 657-3787 (Outside the Twin Cities), or submit a Consumer Assistance Request Form or Fraud Report Form to:

Office of Minnesota Attorney General Lori Swanson
445 Minnesota Street, Suite 1400
St. Paul, MN 55101

Additional Resources

The Minnesota Attorney General’s Office offers the following materials, which are designed to provide information to Minnesota veterans:

County Veterans Service Officers

Local county veterans service officers can help veterans and their family members obtain benefits and services. You may locate your local county veterans service officer by using the Minnesota Association of County Veterans Service Officers’ online directory here.external link icon

Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs

The Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs may be able to help veterans and their dependents in obtaining state and federal benefits. You may contact the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs as follows:

Minnesota Department of Veteran’s Affairs
20 West 12th Street, Room 206
St. Paul, MN 55155
(651) 296-2562 external link icon

United States Department of Veterans Affairs

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs provides a variety of services and information to veterans related to, among other things, health care and pharmacy benefits, compensation and pension benefits, education benefits, home loan benefits, life insurance benefits, vocational rehabilitation benefits, survivor’s benefits, and burial benefits. You may contact the United States Department of Veterans Affairs as follows:

United States Department of Veterans Affairs
Veterans Benefits Administration
St. Paul Regional Office
1 Federal Drive, Fort Snelling
St. Paul, MN 55111
(800) 827-1000 external link icon

National Resource Directory

The National Resource Directory is a partnership among the United States Departments of Veterans Affairs, Defense and Labor that provides a collection of national, state and local resources for veterans, services members, and their families. You may contact the National Resource Directory online at link icon or by telephone at (800) 342-9647.


TRICARE is the United States Department of Defense’s health care coverage program for service members and their dependents. TRICARE offers several health care packages with different levels of coverage. You may obtain information about each of these programs from TRICARE’s website, which is available here,external link icon or by contacting TRICARE West Region as follows:

TRICARE – Regional Office West
(800) 558-1746
www.tricare.milexternal link icon