Government Resources

State Agencies

State agencies are part of Minnesota’s executive branch of government and are headed up by Commissioners who are appointed by the Governor. Below are telephone numbers for many of these agencies. To access an agency’s website, click on its name.

DepartmentCommissioner's OfficeGeneral Assistance
Department of Agricultureexternal link (651) 201-6219 (651) 201-6000
(800) 967-2474
Department of Educationexternal link (651) 582-8200 (651) 582-8200
Department of Commerceexternal link (651) 539-1441 (651) 539-1500
Department of Correctionsexternal link (651) 361-7226 (651) 361-7200
Department of Employment and
Economic Development
external link
(651) 259-7119 (651) 259-7114
Department of Healthexternal link (651) 201-5810 (651) 201-5000
Department of Human Rightsexternal link (651) 539-1121 (651) 539-1100
Department of Human Servicesexternal link (651) 431-2907 (651) 431-2000
Department of Labor and Industryexternal link (651) 284-5010 (651) 284-5005
(800) 342-5354
Minnesota Management and Budgetexternal link (651) 201-8011 (651) 201-8000
Department of Military Affairs/National Guardexternal link (651) 282-4683 (651) 268-8919
Department of Natural Resourcesexternal link (651) 259-5022 (651) 296-6157
Pollution Control Agencyexternal link (651) 757-2014 (651) 296-6300
Department of Public Safetyexternal link (651) 201-7160 (651) 201-7000
Department of Revenueexternal link (651) 556-6003 (651) 556-3000
Department of Transportationexternal link (651) 366-4800 (651) 296-3000
(800) 657-3774
Department of Veterans Affairsexternal link (651) 757-1555 (651) 296-2562

The state government directoryexternal link contains telephone numbers for other state officials and state offices.

Legislative Information

The Minnesota Legislature is the government body with the authority to change state laws. For information regarding the Minnesota Senate, House of Representatives, statutes, and legislation and bill status, among other things, visit the Minnesota State Legislature’s website.external link You may find your state and federal representatives by using the Legislative Coordinating Commission’s lookup tool.external link

State Constitutional Offices

The state constitution establishes five constitutional offices in Minnesota. Contact information for the other offices follows:

Office of the Governor and Lt Governor
116 Veterans Service Building
20 W 12th Street
St. Paul, MN 55155
(651) 201-3400 or (800) 657-3717 link

Minnesota State Auditor's Office
525 Park Street, Suite 500
St. Paul, MN 55103
(651) 296-2551 external link

Minnesota Secretary of State
180 State Office Building
100 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
St. Paul, MN 55155
(651) 201-1324 external link

Office of Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison
445 Minnesota Street, Suite 1400
St. Paul, MN 55101
(651) 296-3353 (Twin Cities Calling Area)
(800) 657-3787 (Outside the Twin Cities)
(800) 627-3529 (Minnesota Relay)

Federal Elected Officials

The people of Minnesota are represented in Congress by two United States Senators and one of eight United States Representatives. View a list and contact information for Minnesota’s Senators and Representatives.external link

Criminal Agencies

County Attorneys

The Minnesota Legislature delegated the authority to prosecute criminal matters to the county attorney. View contact information for County Attorney’s Offices in Minnesota.

County Sheriffs and Police Departments

The Minnesota Legislature delegated the authority to investigate criminal matters to local officials.

Federal Criminal Agencies

Federal agencies have authority to investigate and prosecute criminal wrongdoing involving allegations of violations of federal law. You may contact these federal agencies as follows:

Federal Bureau of Investigation
Minneapolis Office
1501 Freeway Boulevard
Brooklyn Center, MN 55430
(763) 569-8000 external link

United States Postal Inspection Service
Criminal Investigations Service Center
Attn: Mail Fraud
1745 Stout Street, Suite 900 Denver, CO 80299-3034
(877) 876-2455
www.postalinspectors.uspis.govexternal link

United States Secret Service
Minnesota Field Office
300 South Fourth Street, #750
Minneapolis, MN 55415
(612) 348-1800 external link

United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Minnesota
U.S. Courthouse
300 South 4th Street, Suite 600
Minneapolis, MN 55415
(612) 644-5600 external link

United States Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue Northwest
Washington, DC 20530
(202) 514-2000 external link

Federal Consumer Protection Agencies

Several federal consumer protection agencies have authority to investigate and take action against violations of federal consumer protection laws. Contact information for some of these agencies follows:

Federal Trade Commission

The Federal Trade Commission is the federal agency that has authority to take action against deceptive, fraudulent and unfair interstate business practices in the marketplace. You may contact the Federal Trade Commission as follows:

Federal Trade Commission
Consumer Response Center
600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20580
(877) 382-4357
TTY: (866) 653-4261 external link

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is a federal agency that has authority to enforce various federal regulations and laws and to advocate on behalf of consumers as it relates to problems with banks, mortgages, credit cards, and financial institutions. You may contact the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau as follows:

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
1700 G Street NW
Washington, DC 20552
(855) 411-2372 external link

The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency

The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency is the federal agency with authority to license and regulate national banks. You may contact the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency as follows:

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
Customer Assistance Group
1301 McKinney Street, Suite 3450
Houston, TX 77010
(800) 613-6743
www.occ.govexternal link

Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System

The Federal Reserve Board of Governors is a federal agency with the authority to regulate state-chartered banks that are members of the Federal Reserve System. You may contact the Federal Reserve Board of Governors as follows:

Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
Federal Reserve Consumer Help Center
P.O. Box 1200
Minneapolis, MN 55480
(888) 851-1920 external link

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) is a federal agency with the authority to regulate banks that do not join the Federal Reserve System. You may contact the FDIC as follows:

Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
Consumer Response Center
1100 Walnut Street Box #11
Kansas City, MO 64106
(877) 275-3342 external link

National Credit Union Administration

The National Credit Union Administration is the federal agency with authority to license and regulate credit unions. You may contact the National Credit Union Administration as follows:

National Credit Union Administration
Office of Public and Congressional Affairs
1775 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
(703) 518-6330 external link